25.7.10

can you play slow life please

They drank beer and cordial instead of water, they conversed with single people in the audience, they blew the minds of Sydney-siders for the fourth time that year and will continue to do so for as long as they are here. Their music was amazing, their performance was outstanding and their whole being just wondrous.
I didn't know what to expect, were they gonna be as good as they were last time and are they gonna make me feel all funny inside?
They did it all plus some.
After a trek and a half in the rain to get there and prays to the working gods that Allya's friend was working there (which, by the way, she was and so was her other friend but just wait!) we got to the Enmore, showed our tickets and walked into the theatre.
There was one of the two support bands playing, I can't remember what they were called - sorry, no harm meant - and we stood around and waited for Allya's bossmanfriend to turn up. Which he did. And he took us to the barrier. Separating the people who didn't get tickets that would get them to the front. And looked at a guy. And we got stamped. Just like that. Needless to say, we got in and had front and a half row standing positions. BOO-YAH!
So yeah...standing there, waiting for the second band to finish. They were actually quote good, similar to the Dirty Projectors but not as good - again, sorry, no harm meant - but still good. I can't remember their name though, I think I'm having an early onset of memory loss.
Anyway, standing and swaying and then lights go dim and everyone screams and yells and woowoos and Grizzly bear comes on and oh my gosh I think that I may faint because in that three seconds that it takes for Christopher Bear to walk across the stage I have fallen even more and more in musician love with him! He had the cutest new haircut but thats not important. (It is kind of but shh, thats for me talk to myself about...)
Grizzly Bear's music has a way of numbing the mind and making one forget anything bad that has happened. I've been told that I need to say why. Why is their music amazing? Why are they all so awesome? Why is Chris Bear's new haircut so cute? So I will simpify and expand.
Their vocal chords are amahzing and their harmonies just make me wish I could do that. Each of them is doing their own thing on stage but they are still so in tune with eachother and seem to know whats gonna happen.
At one point, they had a backstage person headbanging to "Two Weeks".
People say that musicians who just stand still while performing are boring and lack the animosity needed to perform well but in this case I must say I disagree. Daniel Rossen, who sings and plays guitar/piano, moved only a little and I couldn't seem to stop looking at him. He looked so calm and collected, occasionally smiling and sharing a joke with Chris Bear (!!!!!!).
They all work so hard and to their full extent. I'm yet to see a band who makes me feel the way they do. They make me happy.
I'm scared I'm going to repeat myself, after all it is early, so maybe I'll quit now.
In a nutshell, Grizzly Bear kicked ass.

No comments:

Post a Comment