10.4.10

can you ever just be whelmed?


My brother made a fair point the other day. While I listen to anything my sisters (proxy and normal) give me, I rarely listen to what he points my way. Why is this? Because the majority of his music is classical, and for some reason unbeknownest to all of us, I automatically think its going to be boring. But more often than not I'm proved wrong.
You heard Scheherazad? Cause you really should, its flipping amazing. The violin solo, the percussion, the everything just blows my mind. My brother took me to see it last year and I just went into that kind of trance and just all these thoughts swarmed into my head. I could feel my mind just breaking into little bits at the genius work that is Scheherazad. I wanted to fall asleep but I knew that if I did I would so regret it later,  why would I want to miss out on this extravaganza.
Again, my bro made another fair point. The music I listen to now, how long will that be around for? The average time for a really popular hiphop/rock/rap song to be 'in' is probably a couple of weeks, my kinda music lasts a little longer. Months or years maybe, I prefer to go for not just one song but the whole band. For example, me getting into The Shins was simply an accident. I had my iPod on shuffle and the song Australia came on and I thought, hey, if I like this maybe I'll like the rest? Good thinking 99, they changed your freakin' life.
But classical stuff, Beethoven, Rachmaninoff, Handel, Bach - they've been around for hundreds and thousands of years. Dude, and we thought The Beatles had it good for staying so well-known for so long? Pfft, pretty sure the composers win that one.
Even if people have never heard their stuff, they surely must've heard of them. Even if only in passing. I guess, what I'm trying to say is that no matter how popular a band or a song is it's going to get old. But classical isn't. Ever. And I'm pretty sure I can say the same for jazz, yeah?
Never mind, consult your pillow on that and share your thoughts! Tea and sympathy for those who do :)

P.S In a way, you gotta give it to the musicians aswell. Imagine playing this in front of an audiece of thousands:

Difficult, ey...

2 comments:

  1. I'd never listen to much classical or jazz.. really just 'cause we study it in music at school and its like.. eh, but when I was in Paris over december/jan I went to a jazz bar with my friends.. I sware it was lifechanging.. I always thought it was just old guys playing beat up guitars and double basses.. but they were young and it was just fantastic..

    ;D

    ReplyDelete
  2. they've pushed and opened boundaries for the composers of today. the fact that we're still playing music from a time inwhich light bulbs had not been invented is not primitive, it shows how eternal classical music is. there has simply been no comparison since.

    ReplyDelete